Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Award
Applications for the 2019-2020 Joseph Taub z"l Scholar Athlete Award are closed. Supporting documents will be accepted until 4 pm Friday, January 3, 2020.
The Kaplen Jewish Community Center on the Palisades
The Kaplen Jewish Community Center (JCC) on the Palisades, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in Tenafly (NJ), is now accepting applications for its 2019-2020 Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Awards Program. This application is open to all Bergen County high school seniors; you do not have to be a member of the JCC to win.
Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Awards Program Overview
The Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Awards Program honors student-athletes in their senior year who demonstrate exceptional academic ability and strong leadership skills in sports, their schools, and within their communities. Whether you're the lead scorer or the most spirited team player, we want to hear how you have taken the skills you've cultivated in the locker room and used them to create a powerful, positive impact on the lives of others around you. Two JCC Scholar Athletes (one male and one female) will each receive a $3,600 college scholarship.
In order to be eligible for the award, the applicant must:
- Embody good sportsmanship and strong moral character.
Scholar Athletes are trusted and respected members of their schools and communities. They have built strong relationships with and will leave a lasting impact on other students, administrators, and community members.
- Be passionate and committed to empowering the community in which they live.
Scholar Athletes have made a significant long-term commitment to improving the lives of others.
- Be a confident and enthusiastic leader.
Scholar Athletes are role models. They are poised, honest, and passionate leaders who take on challenges for the greater good.
- Display academic excellence.
Scholar Athletes are intellectually curious, set high academic goals for themselves, and excel in their studies.
- Demonstrate the following key attributes:
- Proactive and highly motivated
- Inspiring and charismatic
- Honest and trustworthy
- Strong and Courageous
- Be a current high school senior
- Gain acceptance to a university/community college for the 2020 summer/fall term
- Be a current member (in good standing) of a high school sports team or be involved in after-school sports (e.g. intramurals, martial arts, etc.)
- Have maintained an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher from 9th grade to first semester of 12th grade
- Be a resident of Bergen County (NJ)
- JCC membership is not required
The Kaplen JCC on the Palisades will review all applications in coordination with the Sports Night of Champions Board and key staff members of the JCC. Awardees will be notified mid-January. Scholarship awards will be presented at the Sports Night of Champions event. All applications will be kept in confidence.
An application is considered complete when the application form has been submitted and all required documents have been received by the Kaplen JCC on the Palisades.
(Please read all instructions carefully before proceeding)
- Completed online application form including essay described below.
- Application cannot be edited once it has been submitted.
- We recommend that you download and prepare your answers in this document before filling out and submitting the online application.
- Personal Essay (500-750 word limit).
- The essay should be a personal statement resulting from soul-searching and deep deliberation.
- Please consider the following six questions in your essay:
- Who am I?
- What person or experience has made the most impact on my life?
- How do I maintain and enhance my physical, mental and spiritual development?
- What community services have impacted my perspective?
- What are my present aspirations and how do I envision them in relation to my future?
- What would a scholarship from the Kaplen Jewish Community Center on the Palisades mean to me? (response required)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Letters should be from a teacher, counselor, employer or coach and submitted on letterhead and include the author’s title, address, phone and email. Include the applicant name in the filename.
- Email completed recommendation letters to email@example.com. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the recommendations are received by the application deadline (not later than December 31, 2019.)
- Most recent high school transcript
- Submit an official 6-semester high school transcript. The transcript must be marked by the school. Email transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application must be submitted and supporting documents must be
received by Tuesday, December 31,2019.
For additional questions or further information, please contact Fran Koszer at 201.408.1404 or email@example.com.